In order to increase the performance of their products, the spring manufacturers (around 700 in Europe), which are 80% SMEs, need to improve the quality of their production. Technologies currently used like shot peening are coming to theirs limits and Japanese's spring makers have proposed products with specific treatments which increase fatigue performance of the spring and thus makes it much adapted to the market. The main aim of this research project :
- To develop of a new low-pressure nitriding process
- To assess the technical improvement in the spring industry
- To improve nano-scale technology spring This nitriding process will have the following characteristics :
- Process temperature low enough (380°C to 450°C) in order to not soften spring steel.
- Possibility to combine with anti-corrosive treatment
- No preparation and treatment in bulk load (low price). From the R&D results, SME proposers expect the following improvements:
- higher dynamic performance of their springs (up to 25%),
- less raw material used (down to 35%)
- increase service life (2 or 3 times),- reduced weight.
Funding SchemeEAW - Exploratory awards