The main objectives are as follows:
* To accumulate meteorological data in the Mediterranean area for desalination purposes.
* To design a desalination method using the vapor compression method, under low pressure where, a) the compressor is powered by wind energy and b) solar energy is used for heating the feed.
* To design another desalination method using the Multiple Effect Evaporation method, where the external heating in the top effect is achieved by solar trough collector.
* To construct two pilot units using the two mentioned methods, and install them in two different countries (Greece and Jordan).
* To monitor the operation of the pilot units and measure the necessary parameters.
* To make a feasibility study for future construction of larger units in various sites of the Mediterranean.
The work carried out in this project would provide a pilot test for future further development of these desalination methods. The methods are oriented to handle the draught problem in small and isolated communities, with no technological supporting and facilities. A lot of such cases are appeared in the Mediterranean area, which also have high solar and wind energy potential. So the use of desalination methods with low investment cost, no operational cost, and a minimum of maintenance cost, seem to be very attractive.
The key activities envisaged are:
* Optimization of the operational parameters for the two methods (temperature, pressure, concentration ration etc.).
* Design of the key components for the two methods (evaporator/condenser, compressor, windmill, solar collectors, auxiliary heat exchangers). Three critical points will be taken under consideration: a) Low construction cost, b) Low maintenance cost, c) Minimum control needs.
* Construction and installation of the two pilot units. The installation areas are in Makedonia, Northern Greece, and in Aqaba, Southern Jordan. These sites have been chosen due to good meteorological conditions and available facilities for experimental operation.
* Installation of a data acquisition system for monitoring the operation of the units. Development of the corresponding software.
* Presentation of the operation results. These will correlate the quality and quantity of the produced water with the operational parameters, and also include the financial analysis of the operation.
* Scale and site analysis for future industrial apply.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
95030 Catania, Piano D'arci