* To establish whether common research models and implementation strategies are applicable to both EC countries and Southern Africa.
* To link synergistically with a CA study funded by the BIOMED 2 programme entitled "Bridging the gap between science and practice: How to change health care provider behaviour through implementing clinical practice guidelines" (short title: Changing Professional Practice) and any other relevant INCO funded projects in the Southern African region.
* To build a network of mutually supportive researchers in Southern Africa and Europe (involving partners from at least three countries in the EC and three in Southern Africa).
* To train researchers in Southern Africa in the methodology of systematic reviews, guideline development, guideline implementation, rigorous evaluations of guideline implementation and dissemination of findings of implementation research.
* To publish the results of this process in peer reviewed journals and develop resource materials for training researchers (monographs, databases, E-mail discussion groups).
* To work with the HealthLink and HealthNet networks - with the intention of thereby supporting their further development.
* The establishment of an implementation research network.
* The submission of a further application to the EC for continued funding to support the conduct of individual projects.
* Develop a network of mutually supporting researchers in Southern Africa and Europe.
* Organise three education and training workshops to bring together European and Southern African participants in a collaborative network to support the development of research protocols for implementation studies.
* Publish four newsletters in paper and electronic (via the World Wide Web) formats.
* Develop training materials for future implementation research.