The main objectives are the following:
* Identification of the relationship and connections among the factors that influence the environmental changes in the Pantanal-Chaco's ecosystem through the multitemporal study of the evolution occurred in the last 30 years.
* Conceptual and mathematical modelling of the evolutive trends; forecasting of the evolution of the ecosystem.
* Exchange among the partners of techniques and know-how applied and developed during the project.
* Definition of a methodology for multitemporal analysis and monitoring of environmental natural areas which are threatened by human activities or by progressive geological and climatic changes.
This work should provide a complete characterization of the geo-environmental dynamics of Pantanal-Chaco's system and its probable future evolution in respect to the type and intensity of the antropic activity; the definition of the evolutionary trends through a multitemporal approach will help both to manage the important cattle farming, the agricultural and mineral activities, and to protect the balance of the ecosystem. Useful G.I.S data banks should be assessed for the following themes: cover and use of the soil, vegetation, geology, geomorphology, hydrology, and hydrogeology.
* The temporal evolution of the conditions of the territory in the Pantanal-Chaco area will be determined through the analysis of satellite images (Landsat data), aerial photographs and radar images taken during the last 30 years. These data will be analysed and directed through the use of G.I.S. methodologies. The image interpretation will be backed up by ground checks.
* Field work will be carried out to check key models for photointerpretation and classification, with direct acquisition of data and information concerning lithology, landforms, erosion processes, and mass movement, vegetation changes, deposition mechanism; also a direct characterization, documentation and evaluation of environmental damages associated with agricultural, urban, mineral activities and natural processes will be done. The ground work will be carried out in the dry period (June-October), rainy period (November-March) and flood period (March-June), for an evaluation of the intensity and the various aspect of the phenomena.
* Modelling of the hydrological system of upper and middle river Paraguay basin will be developed: through the multitemporal approach the modifications of the hydrological system will be determined and related to the development of the erosive process occurred. Also an environmental impacts evaluation will be approached through mathematical models for the whole project area.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
2000 Vale De Santarém