The main objectives are as follows:
* To identify the potential for the employment of renewable energies for waste water treatment.
* To work out the technical problems of purification plants supplied with renewable energies depending on: the waste water amount and pollution, the demand of water for reuse, the present state in energy supply, the potential of the renewable energies (especially solar and wind energy). This includes the design of an optimal energy management for these systems.
* To determine the environmental and socio-economic impacts resulting from waste water treatment including water reuse and a power supply with renewable energies. With a cost benefit analysis it will be possible to compare the external costs of conventional systems and the systems proposed in this project.
* To analyse these objectives in detail for the Near East region and to give criteria for the transfer of the proposed systems to the West Mediterranean region where similar problems exist.
The essential result of this project will be the criteria for the installation of purification plants supplied by renewable energies. With these criteria it should be possible to decide which are the optimal conditions for an installation of these systems taking into consideration : the situation on waste water amount and pollution, the water demand for irrigation, the energy supply and the potential of renewable energies.
The results are of direct use in the Near East region but also a concept will be made on how to use the results in the West Mediterranean region.
The key activities envisaged are:
* Analysis of the amount and pollution of waste water, the existing situation in waste water treatment and the demand of water for drinking and irrigation including the future development.
* Analysis of the present state in energy supply for municipal and rural areas including future plans and determination of the potential of solar and wind energy.
* Work out of purification methods taking into consideration the waste water amount and pollution and the water demand for irrigation.
* Adaptation of these purification plants to the renewable energy supply.
* Determination of sites where these purification plants are feasible.
* Consideration of environmental and socio-economic impacts and cost benefit analysis for purification plants supplied by renewable energies.
* Work out of criteria for the installation of purification plants in the Near East.
* Concepts for consultation of local and national authorities and for the transfer to the West Mediterranean countries.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
Nablus - West Bank
35003 Las Palmas De Gran Canari
32000 Sher Ha(c)fa
7071 Palma De Mallorca