The Congress will establish a pan-European microbiology forum that aims to:
(1) present state-of-the-art microbiology;
(2) integrate national microbiology into European Microbiology;
(3) enhance collaboration between scientific and industrial organisations;
(4) promote participation by microbiologists from Central and Eastern Europe;
(5) support the development of young microbiologists;
(6) raise the standing/impact of European Microbiology. The topics covered at the congress will provide a cross-section of the depth and width of microbiology. In relation to the point 4 above, we herewith submit a grant request to support the attendance of microbiologists from the NIS and CEEC.