The objective of this project was to transfer the 'Active Industrial Silencer' (AIS) Technology from the exclusive European AIS-licensee, KEBA Ges.m.b.H. & Co, to the European SME machine industry so that it can be used as original equipment on their machines. This objective was to be met by realisation of pilot installations and targeted dissemination of AIS know-how through the following work packages:
1. transfer of the AIS-Technology to industrial silencer manufacturers
2. complete pilot installations including documentation
3. adaptation of the AIS-Hardware to the European market requirements
4. dissemination of AIS information to OEMs and end-users
5. installation of a permanent AIS Technical Support Centre.
The target groups for the technology transfer were manufacturers and users of industrial diesel engines, compressors and Roots-type equipment.
Compared to conventional exhaust silencer technology the AIS offers a range of advantages, including :
1. superior low-frequency noise control
2. increased engine energy efficiency combined with reduced exhaust gas emission
3. reduced cost
4. smaller silencer volume
5. upgradeable by software changes
6. equally good performance at all engine speeds.
SMEs in Europe are not yet familiar with ANC technology and therefore do not know of its benefits. This lack of awareness was also to be overcome with manufacturers, users, etc. By applying the AIS technology the European SME machinery industry can improve the quality of their products (reduced noise, improved machine efficiency and reduced gas emissions). Additionally the time traditionally required to develop noise control measures will be reduced.