For today's textile and fabrics market it is absolutely essential to present updates and new designs both for fashion and industrial fabrics. At present, the European market for woven products is highly automated. The high cost of equipment and the technical complexity involved in the development and manufacturing of woven samples and new fabrics (in most of the cases 25 cm of fabric is sufficient) means that it is uneconomic to produce samples on large production lines.
The current situation can be summarised as follows:
- the present productive machines are completely automated. These machines are designed for production in series, and not for very short runs.
- the fabrics made by the present machines are too wide for samples.
- the cost of the present machinery does not permit stoppages.
The objectives and benefits of this project were:
- a considerably increased level of customer service through a 90% reduction of time required to develop new samples
- human errors are reduced
- manufacturing cost of samples reduced by 50%
- additional cost saving since there is no more need to shut down the main manufacturing looms of the company which are usually used for production.
Subsequently a new system has been developed, which based on CAD/CAM can produce the fabric samples with a maximum width of 50 cm. Project developments included:
- a new computer system to create the design with a library of 100.000 patterns
- a CAD/CAM link to the sample producing machine
- a new, highly simplified loom, with a weaving width of 50 cm equipped with a Jacquard machine and individual thread commands.
- a finishing line of machinery to work with 50 cm width fabrics with all the necessary processes including treatment, washing, dyeing, drying.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
50047 Prato Firenze