CULTIVATE is an answer to the need for a newly structured network supporting the co-operation of archives, libraries and museums under the 5th Framework Programme. It is a pan-European network for the Digital Heritage Community including IT staff, information professionals, researchers, managers, policy makers, galleries, non-profit making organisations etc. This network will have two sub-sections: one for the western part of Europe and another for the 10 accession countries in Central and Eastern Europe (CULTIVATE CEE). Both activities were planned together and will work in a close co-operation.
The accompanying measure CULTIVATE-EU will establish a European Digital Cultural Heritage Network consisting of 16 partners based in 11 European countries and Israel. In addition there are also National Nodes in Denmark, Netherlands, Iceland and Sweden who are associated partners.
This network will continue the successful and fruitful work carried out by the National Focal Points for the Telematics for Libraries Programme under the 3rd and 4th Framework Programme and will expand to include all memory institutions, namely archives, museums and galleries.
The network intends:
* to raise the awareness of the IST Programme for the development and the use of cultural heritage applications in all memory institutions in Europe;
* to enhance the quantity and quality of submitted proposals under the IST programme by various means like electronic information services, information days and individual advice for proposers and intends;
* to link European institutions with national administrative bodies and professional organisations and institutions in order to bring European activities and directives faster to the citizens and vice versa.
Some activities will be performed by each partner, others will be fairly shared between all participating partners and countries.
After setting up CULTIVATE-EU national nodes with representatives from all relevant memory institutions and organisations (in particular from archives, libraries, museums, publishers and the multimedia and book-trade) in each participating country (WP 1) these nodes and their presence in the World-Wide-Web will be interlinked by a common gateway (WP 2).
The dissemination of information will be supported by an electronic information service at European level (WP2 T3) and by the production of sector specific information material in printed and electronic form (WP2 T4).
To reflect the state-of-the art of cultural heritage applications in Europe as well as to present and to discuss the results achieved by CULTIVATE-EU an electronic web based magazine will be developed (WP 3).
All partners will be responsible for (EU non-costed) sector specific information days and consultancy tasks for (potential) proposers (WP 4).
Activities linking European Cultural heritage policy and directives to administrative and professional bodies at national level will bridge the gap between the thematic work on European and on national level (WP 5).
A close co-operation with national nodes of Western European countries not participating in the CULTIVATE-EU consortium and institutions of the 10 CEE countries is an essential part of the measure (WP 6).
The accompanying measure will be managed by the EDBI (German Libraries Institute, Berlin) as the co-ordinating partner (WP 6).
The first milestone will be reached, when all national cultural heritage networks are established. The next milestone will be marked by the completion of setting up the infrastructure for all electronic information services. During the operational phase of CULTIVATE-EU project milestones will always occur after the completion of each Call for Proposals relevant to the archives, libraries and museums sector.
It is expected that:
* awareness about the opportunities of the IST programme among professionals and users of cultural memory institutions will rise considerably;
* knowledge among (potential) proposers of "how to make a proposal" will be improved substantially; and
* involvement in the development of innovative cultural heritage applications will be strengthened in each participating country.
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures
00014 Helsingin Yliopisto
61500 Tel Aviv
SW1H 9AA London
BA2 7AY Bath