The vision of the COMBINE project is one of component-based systems that are easy to build and deploy, and which support scalable enterprises in highly dynamic environments. The goal of the project is to develop user-driven and simple methods and tools for modelling, developing, and building component-based systems. The methods and tools support efficient development, deployment and execution of components, and dynamic solutions for providing and presenting services and information. The scope of the project is to apply a requirements-driven and user-driven approach based on development of solutions related to the requirements of the user-pilots and demonstration of solutions in that context.
The overall goal of COMBINE is to support model-driven development of enterprise systems - using Components. This requires further development of methods, infrastructures and tools as well as business solutions for modelling, designing, deploying, testing and running components successfully in an enterprise-wide scale.
COMBINE shall provide:
(1) Modelling of components for the enterprise;
(2) Tools that aids the design and implementation of these components;
(3) Tools that aids the deployment and running of these components in the enterprise;
(4) Infrastructure support that provides flexibility of service, information handling and presentation, and;
(5) An analysis of the techniques and methodologies necessary to successfully verify the implementation and conformance to standards of these components.
The main work items that are anticipated to be performed as part of the COMBINE project include but are not limited to:
* Development of cohesive component concepts that are independent of any particular technology, that address granularity questions, and that apply throughout the development lifecycle;
* Development of methodology and tools that support enterprise viewpoint and process modelling and application of such in component frameworks;
* Development of methodology and tools that support computational viewpoint modelling and applications of such in component frameworks;
* Development of methodology and tools that support information viewpoint modelling and application of such in component frameworks;
* Development of methodologies and tools that support engineering and technology modelling and application of such in component frameworks;
* Development of pilots that underpin the value of sound development frameworks (methodologies and tools);
* Analysis of Quality Assurance and Testing Techniques that will enable to development of Conformance Tools and Tests for Component Based methodologies, and;
* Ensuring early and continuous exploitation and dissemination of results.
Expected Milestones and results include:
* Publication of the reports into component concepts;
* Publication of the methodologies and tools to support the various viewpoints and modelling techniques;
* Pilot implementation of the viewpoint and modelling techniques by an end users;
* Reports on the usability, testability and conformance of the component based technologies researched within the project.
MDA-based Component Methodology
- The COMBINE Component-based development methodology provides a basis for an MDA-oriented development of component-based systems, illustrated and exemplified through a pilot example. Web-based support environment for developing MDA-compliant component-based systems
- Comprehensive web-based documentation, encapsulating the COMBINE methodology with explicit instructions on use of tools, processes and procedures. UMT – UML Model Transformation Tool
- The UMT Model Transformation tool is a tool to support transformation from UML models represented in XMI to other formats, including new UML models or generated code. Micro-Workflow Facilities
- Allows for the definition and execution of specified business processes. The definition module can either read an XML file to create the object representation of the procedures, or it can be used by instantiating the objects directly using the API of the COMBINE framework for construction of procedures. The execution module reads the shared workflow definitions from the definition module, and manages each workflow instance in a separate execution context. Pilot Booking Survey Application
- Implementation of MDA-compliant component-based system for use in booking and scheduling of shipping resources, following the COMBINE methodology and utilising COMBINE compliant toolset. MDA-compliant and COMBINE conformant component repository
- An Enterprise Repository for storing, sharing and reusing business process information and system components. The repository supports COMBINE components and COTS components, and is able to interface with COMBINE compliant modelling and development tools. MDA-compliant and COMBINE conformant UML based modelling and design tool
- Modelling and design tools that provides full lifecycle support for components from modelling to code generation and includes profiling technology that ensures modelling work is always consistent and conformant to industry standards and the COMBINE component based framework and methodology. XMI and COMBINE Component Compliance Tool
- The XMI and COMBINE Component Compliance Tool provides capabilities to verify components created in tools or extracted from repositories are defined according to the XMI specification standard, and are compliant with the COMBINE component based framework and methodology.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
BH1 1HL Bournemouth, Dorset
SW2 4HJ London