The Youngster project will develop technologies to create a new open active mobile multimedia environment that is accessible from anywhere by a wide range of devices and networks and supports context-aware features (including location-awareness) allowing seamless and highly adaptive delivery of services. It will develop an open active mobile service platform (by enhancing an existing platform) that is user-aware with different forms of personalisation based on a dynamic user profile and context attributes. It will provide a greater degree of interaction with devices in the user's environment, thereby starting to build an intelligent environment that is integrated into the service delivery chain, and will support advanced communication services for communities of users. An important aspect of the project is the focus on young people as a user community for field trial applications.
The YOUNGSTER project objectives are to:
1) develop an enhanced open Mobile Service Platform that
- supports the provision of highly personalised and adaptive mobile services,
- enables users and communities to create their own active services and
- provides means for easily developing services and the required content
1.1) explore models for personalisation of services and develop related platform components including a User Information Retrieval System and modules for personalising and adapting services
1.2) provide support services for easy creation of active services that include community functions and service management and creation services
1.3) support the easy creation of context-aware and active services through a set of related tools, new content formats and support services interpreting these formats
2) develop enhanced Mobile Services using the Mobile Service Platform
3) define new business models for providing the set of described services.
In order to achieve its objectives and milestones, the Youngster project is organised in three technical workpackages and a fourth workpackage related to project management as summarised below:
The technical approach designed for the Youngster project consists of the following working structure.
- Workpackage 1 (WP1) will define application scenarios and business models.
- Workpackage 2 (WP2) will design and implement a Mobile Service Platform in response to the technical requirements that emerged from the application scenarios.
- Workpackage 3 (WP3) will design and implement end user services. These services will be used for technical validation of the Mobile Service Platform and the concepts for services. The validation will be performed by a user group, in our case young people from Scandinavia.
- Workpackage 4 (WP4) will be responsible for project management, dissemination and contribution to standardisation. The assessment and evaluation activity is part of this workpackage.
Four milestones have been designed to complete the project phases:
M1 - Application Scenario / MSP Functionality
M2 - MSP Base System
M3 - MSP Final System
M4 - End of User Trials
An open active mobile multimedia service platform, new mobile and context-aware services in Europe using GPRS/UMTS networks, M-Commerce business models.
The project has achieved: ·New methods for generation and fast screening of GAG structures for protein interactions.
·A rapid sequencing of HS structures.
·Generation of novel GAG structures by chemical/enzymatic modification of precursor molecules in vitro. Generation of novel GAG structures by genetically engineered cells.
·Generation of novel compounds that interfere with growth factor binding in vitro. Generation of novel compounds that interfere with growth factor action in cell culture and in vivo.
·Generation of new strategies to retard tumour growth, potentially useful for treatment of malignancies.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
EH14 4AS Edinburgh