Original research objectives
POR.COM conducted a trial to prove the concept of utilizing intelligent information access and filtering (IIAF), including the use of agents. The trial is intended to show how IIAF can:
- Improve access to Port of Rotterdam information concerning Shipping, Shippers, Support Companies, Logistics, services, products and SME's.
- Enhance the competitiveness of a large number of companies operating from the Port of Rotterdam.
- Improve employment prospects for the large number of workers who depend on the Port.
- Provide a valuable aid to knowledge workers in the Shipping Industry.
The business communities are characterized by a large diversity of sources and participants. One of the key activities in the project will deal with retrieving information from legacy systems and providing access to the information.
- To prove the concept of using Intelligent Information Access and Filtering (IIAF) technology to unite knowledge sources from a large group of related trades and companies for intelligent enquiry concerning Shipping, Logistics, Freight Handling and Port Services.
- To adapt proven IIAF technology (Autonomy) to work with multi-provider information sources, multi-company knowledge bases, multi-standards, and multiple language media sources including text and graphics with associated meta-data.
- To develop User Interface solutions for remote usage of IIAF technology by novice users.
- To involve a large set of Rotterdam companies in a trial to prove the concept and engage them in a rollout plan for future exploitation of IIAF for business benefit.
The project had a number of practical results:-the Port authority decided to adopt the technology in the future life environment for internal and external knowledge management and service search;-The experiences with over 400 SME's involved showed the weak points of natural language input and the strong points of stochastical search engines in a regional portal- The experiences showed the importance of user-friendly content input mechanisms;- The experience showed the value of automatic XML tagging and categorization;- Results indicate the importance of so called "doorway sites" especially made for future search engines- - as a direct result two national governments have started negotiations on content syndication based on the same spider technology- The same technology will be adopted for the National organization of 8000 painters.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeBUR - Bursaries, grants, fellowships
3072 AP Rotterdam
See on map
N1 7JQ London
See on map