In the FLIBUSI assessment project it is planned to evaluate the performance of the Datacon flip chip die bonder specifically designed to work with ultra-thin silicon chips, (prototype equipment assessment). The prototype equipment has been developed within the European Project ´Ultra-thin packaging solutions using thin silicon (FLEX-SI)´, IST-99-10205.
In manufacturing trials under close to production conditions the prototype equipment will run with two industrial applications:
- smart label test production using flip chip-on-flex with ultra-thin chips (d = 50 µm),
- power module test production using solder die bond on direct copper bonded (DCB) substrate with ultra-thin chips (d = 100 µm). The industrial users will evaluate the manufacturing trials and provide feedback to the equipment supplier who will improve the prototype.
Overall objective of the project is to evaluate, improve and demonstrate the flip chip die bonder for use with ultra-thin chips, including the evaluation of:
- the die ejection process in the wafer feeder, e.g. the use of different tapes
- the flip chip placing process
- machine performance and implementation of potential improvements
- effectiveness of the machine concept for smart label and power module production
- performance of the flip chip die bonder under close to production conditions (process quality, yield, MTBF, MTTR, uptime, throughput, cost of ownership).
Further objectives of the assessment project are:
- determine limits to process and machine design;
- demonstrate industrial feasibility of high speed flip chip bonding of ultra-thin chips;
- benchmark equipment against competitive flip chip die bonders.
At first, the equipment supplier and the industrial users agree on the process specifications which are set up by the users according to their production requirements. The equipment supplier optimises the prototype flip chip die bonder according to the users´ specifications. The equipment is installed at ISIT and put in operation. User training is performed. First production trials for the users´ applications are performed using test chips. The flip chip process for smart labels is running in high volume with test chips and substrates followed by a quality evaluation of the samples and a process evaluation (e.g. placing speed and accuracy). By analogy, the die bond process for power modules is running in high volume with test chips and substrates. The equipment supplier provides necessary improvements on the prototype bonder according to the feedback from the users responsible. From the 1st production trials. The second manufacturing trials under close to production conditions are performed using system chips and substrates. A high volume of smart label samples with ultra-thin chips (d = 50 µm) is manufactured using the prototype flip chip die bonder and then the results are evaluated. By analogy, a high volume of power module samples is manufactured with Si chips of 100µm thickness. Finally, the partners work on documentation and dissemination of results as well as on exploitation.
- Specifications of chips, substrates, processes, user requirements and test methods;
- The prototype flip chip die bonder is working after installation in ISIT, the equipment has passed the site acceptance test;
- Users training is finished;
- The prototype flip chip die bonder fulfills the 1st phase specifications;
- The prototype flip chip die bonder fulfills the final target specifications;
- Documentation on equipment improvements.
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures