The main objective is the development of better & cheaper gallium phosphide (GaP) substrate for manufacturing of light emitting diodes (LED's). The definition of the objective is coming from an indispensable role of LED's in modern information society by delivering visual information to citizen-user.
To accomplish this goal the main objective is divided into several partial objectives: development of GaP with small quantity of structural defects grown with modern vertical gradient freeze method; manufacturing of GaP substrates; validation of substrate parameters by manufacturing and application-like testing of LED's prototypes. The ultimate objective is to prepare a route for manufacturing of GaP substrate in EU as an alternative of GaP substrates supply for LED's producers because there is no such production place in EU and NAS.
The work in frame of project will be realized in a stages as follows:
1) Target scheme for the project goals and their assessment, will be produced by following permanent market analysis and consulting experts;
2) An apparatus for sophisticated VGF technology will be designed and manufactured. The equipment will provide precise and stable temperature gradient for the processed materials, while this gradient will be controllable via PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers) and will be moving along the ingot axis during the crystal growth. The whole polycrystalline and single crystal processes will be realized at the 40 - 70 bar pressure to prevent any dissociation. The work will include technology development of 50 mm to 70 mm diameter crystals;
3) The implementation of more less known semiconductor wafer technology for the production of VGF GaP substrates. This work shall be broadened out to include a design for specialty multi-blade saw, which will be used for cutting of semiconductor ingots;
4) To obtain optimisation of the advanced GaP based devices the work in this stage will be oriented to analyse of the structure and device design, research in technology of GaP substrates based LED's;
5) The growth of epitaxial layers on VGF GaP substrates using MOVPE technique, device processing, measurement and testing of LED prototypes will be done. Preparation and optimisation of growth condition will be aimed to obtain the highest luminescent efficiency;
6) Developed LED's will be validated and tested under application-like condition. These activities are aiming at new market niches and segments and will be carried out within a specific user group.
User requirements analysis;
- equipment for GaP synthesis and VGF GaP single crystal growth;
- pilot line for substrate production;
- VGF GaP single crystals;
- VGF GaP epiready substrates;
- design and research of GaP based LED structure;
- growth of epitaxial layers on VGF GaP substrates using MOVPE technique;
- processing of LED prototypes;
- validation and application like testing;
- dissemination and exploitation of results in EU.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
842 28 Bratislava