CREATE (Constructivist Mixed Reality for Design, Education, and Cultural Heritage) aims to develop a mixed reality framework enabling highly interactive real-time construction and manipulation of realistic virtual worlds based on real sources. This framework will be tested and applied to two prototypes: a cultural heritage/education application, for students and the general public and an architectural/urban planning design review application, for decision makers and the general public. To develop these applications, the project follows a "constructivist" approach, combining innovative work in VR, simulation, data capture, visualisation graphics, and interface design to provide highly realistic yet interactive experiences where users actively participate in the construction of environments. Development will be driven by actual user requirements, through careful analysis for each case, and evaluated for its effectiveness.
In CREATE we will develop a mixed-reality framework that will enable interactive construction of virtual scenes based on real sources, resulting in highly realistic and interactive experiences. In particular:
i) We will design new methodologies to determine user requirements based on a human-centred, "constructivist" approach to working and learning, with special attention to evaluation;
ii) We provide a complete set of techniques for a realistic capture of real sites, that can subsequently be used in an impressive virtual reality displays;
iii) We will develop, adapt and combine novel, visualisation, display and audio technologies based on the user requirements, to enable realism with interactivity, specifically for VR/AR/MR applications.
Finally, we will build & exploit two prototypes, one for a cultural heritage/learning application, and one for and architecture/urban-planning application, incorporating more natural and usable interface approaches.
The CREATE work plan consists of the project management and dissemination & exploitation work packages as well as five technical work packages:
1) Case Study Definition, Design and Methodology, to define and design the specifications and methodology for the two case studies, the first concerning a cultural heritage/education prototype and the other concerning a urban planning/design review prototype, and thus aid in their integration and the development;
2) Data Collection and Overall Scene Construction, to acquire existing site data forming the basis for construction and reconstruction for the case studies;
3) VE Enhancement: Re-lighting, Rendering, Population and Sound, to choose, adapt and develop appropriate algorithms and methodologies to enhance virtual environments so that they can provide a highly realistic experience while supporting interactive use;
4) Prototype Integration and Interface, to bring together the results of the techniques developed in the other work packages, and to design and implement the interface, creating a prototype system which will be used in the two application scenarios, for cultural heritage and urban planning. In this package, integration will be performed to provide a visual, haptic and audio experience to the user;
5) Evaluation, where the goal is to evaluate the effectiveness of the performed work and the technical choices, with respect to the fulfilment of the objectives as set and targeted by each of the case studies/prototypes.
The consortium will ensure timely and widespread dissemination of the results, both in the scientific community and to industry and the general public. The exploitation plan is twofold, first with the direct usage of the full prototypes by end-user partners or other take-up mechanisms and second the technology transfer of the individual technological breakthroughs developed, either for data capture or VE enhancement, in sectors such as VR, computer games, postproduction.
- User requirements on Cultural Heritage/Education and on Urban/Architectural Planning & Design applications;
- On-site data acquisition Techniques and Novel Algorithms with Digitally produced reconstructions of two sites;
- Design & Specifications for VE Enhancement Algorithms;
- Prototype mixing immerse technologies, and integration of the new virtual reality algorithms for realistic experience.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
78153 Le Chesnay