The objective is to enhance safety, reliability and efficiency of autonomous robotic systems (Autonomous Underwater Vehicles and Autonomous Ground Vehicles) by the implementation of the ADVOCATE II solution:
- An open and modular software architecture for diagnosis and control, to allow easy integration of AI techniques with pre-existing solutions, using new technologies based on XML/SOAP standards, extended for taking into account time constraints and priority management;
- Diagnosis modules, fully compatible and based on different AI techniques;
- Friendly Tools to increase genericity in allowing dynamic configuration of the application. To validate ADVOCATE, trials will be performed using operational prototypes in real conditions.
The global objectives of the project are, in order to enhance the level of reliability and efficiency of autonomous robotic systems:· To construct an open, modular and generic software architecture for autonomous robotic systems diagnosis and control. It will be designed to meet time constraints requirements and to allow easy integration of innovative, reliable and tested AI techniques with pre-existing solutions· To develop or improve a set of intelligent diagnosis modules fully compatible with this architecture and tested in operational application.. To develop friendly tools in order to enlarge genericity of the solution in allowing dynamic configuration of the application. To set and make use for tests and demonstration of operational prototypes in order to prove efficiency of this solution in several application fields. Dissemination and promotion of these results could be a first step for standardisation of the ADVOCATE architecture.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The ADVOCATE 2 main objectives will be achieved through the following goals:
- Architecture and communication protocol: To specify, design and implement the generic architecture and communication protocol in introducing some valuable new technology based on XML/SOAP standards;
- Friendly tools: To develop a friendly configuration tool, making easier application and modules configuration and thus to increase genericity. Using the configuration tool messages changes or parameter evolutions could be done dynamically, without modifying the code. A tool (kind of mock-up) will also be developed, as a kernel of the architecture, to simplify integration phase;
- Decision module: A Decision Module will be designed and developed to manage the overall diagnosis and recovery process;
- Intelligent modules: To develop intelligent modules fully compatible with the upgraded architecture, able to take into account real problems of operational robots. A set of several Diagnosis modules for each application will be developed, using different Artificial Intelligent techniques adapted to the problems to be solved;
- Piloting modules: To develop the communication interfaces between the robots piloting modules and the architecture· Real demonstrations: To define and use of a set of demonstration: one concerning a new AUV with at sea trials, the other using an AGV. Demonstrations are not only needed for previous development testing and validation, but also they are considered as a major support for promotion and dissemination. Intensive promotion: To promote and disseminate results, through the development of a complete Web site dedicated to the project and also through more classical means. We will make the best possible use of the demonstrations using videos or CD-Roms;
- Exploitation plan: On the basis of the results of a market study, definition of exploitation and technology implementation strategies in order to market project results.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
13851 Aix-en-provence Cedex 3
9220 Aalborg Oest
92130 Issy Les Moulineaux
28801 Alcala De Henares