TRASCOM (TRAveller Assistance for COmbined Mobility in regional areas) aims at developing multi-media applications using mobile Internet telephony to improve user mobility, combining all modes of transport, and covers three aspects:
- simplify real time access;
- include payment operations;
- link users and information/service suppliers. TRASCOM will include following tasks:
- requirements and system architecture;
- software development;
- integration and test;
- evaluation and assessment;
- dissemination and contribution to standardisation.
The overall objective of the TRASCOM project is to apply mobile technologies to the development and the validation of a prototype of a new multi- and intermodal transport software platform providing a set of integrated services in order to reduce the traffic congestion in urban areas and to meet specific transportation needs of people living in very low dense or in cross border areas.
The set of integrated services will consist of trip information, trip selection and optimisation, booking, purchase, confirmation, localisation, access, real time assistance, payment, control, service and fleet management for different modes of transport by car (individual car, car renting, car sharing), bicycle, bus, train and aeroplane.
The project will apply the advanced mobile technologies available in 2003.
At the technical level, the TRASCOM project will:
- develop and test new and integrated services using the most advanced form of mobile technologies (mobile phone, PDA, GPRS, UMTS, Bluetooth, SWAP, Ethernet wireless) in order to meet traveller and transport operators expectations in terms of mobility and combination of all modes of transport in a regional context;
- develop and test a universal, generic, open and scalable architecture for a regional, multi- and intermodal transport platform with mobile access;
- promote a standard for data exchange between the information systems of transport operators.
To achieve these technical results, the project will define:
- requirements for the services to be implemented in the platform, requirements based on an analysis of scenarios applicable to journeys carried out within an intermodal context of transport;
- new applications such as mobile electronic payments, real time assistance to traveller and enlarged intermodality,
software specifications to implement the requirements;
- the specifications will cover the cooperative architecture of the platform and its services integration server.
At the telecom level, the project will experiment advanced mobile devices and new telecom mobile protocols (GPRS, UMTS, Bluetooth, SWAP).
To allow the validation and the exploitation of the platform and its services, the project will realize field test demonstrations on three sites located in the urban and cross border region of South Alsace, Belfort and Jura in France, in the urban and cross border region of Liege in Belgium and in the rural and low dense Region of Abbeville in the Somme Department in France.
TRASCOM expertise is partially based on the results of the previous IST ISCOM Project, especially the expertise in public transport information and database collection in the South-Alsace region.
To define socio-economic conditions for the marketing of the new platform and its associated services the project will analyse business, legal, ethical and user behaviour and acceptance models.
As a side effect the project will also contribute to the standardisation in the domains of 2.5G and 3G mobile communication at the level of the integration of functionalities in mobile devices and their human interfaces and at the level of interoperability with other devices. It will also contribute to standardisation in the semantic of passengers transportation data exchange between the information systems of transport operators in regional areas.
- Functional specifications for mobile technology use in future transportation systems;
- Technical specifications and software architecture;
- Advanced mobile technology availability;
- Application software production;
- Field experimentation;
- Evaluation and assessment.
- Finalization of advanced mobile technology;
- Open, universal and scalable platform for traveller transport systems;
- Business, legal and ethic models for use of mobile technologies in multi/intermode transport systems.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
90020 Belfort Cedex
92100 Boulogne Billancourt
5100 Jambes (Namur)