MUSIK will analyse in depth the market and the industrial and technological situation of positioning applications and will draw a picture of the economical, industrial, legal and institutional environment. A thorough assessment of the technological evolution by 2010 will be made. MUSIK will identify research objectives and propose an RTD roadmap. Considering the technological outcomes, the project will establish comprehensive recommendations in order to define a technology platform based on a generic architecture able to tackle all kind of positioning applications, to use multi source positioning services and to promote the creation of standards. These recommendations will be assessed, refined and validated by a set of European experts from Industry or from European Institutions or Member States selected for their complementary background and their representativeness.
MUSIK objective is to propose an RTD roadmap and the accompanying methods for the development of generic receiver architecture for the 3 main classes of positioning applications (Consumer, Professional and Safety of Life).
To that aim, MUSIK will:
- analyse in depth the market, industrial and technological situation of positioning applications, and set up constructive recommendations;
- define a technology platform based on a generic multi source receiver architecture able to tackle all kind of positioning applications and to promote the creation of standards;
- assess the technological evolution by 2010:
- on satellite navigation infrastructures (GPS, GLONASS, EGNOS, GALILEO) and terrestrial systems;
- on user equipment both in terms of hardware features and software development methods.
MUSIK includes 2 main tasks to be carried out: the Economical and Legal Survey and the Technical Issues for the specifications of a generic multi source positioning user terminal kernel and proposes recommendations.
The Economical and Legal Survey includes the following analysis:
- a synthesis of market intelligence to highlight the market differences between Europe, the United States and Asia,
- a more in-depth analysis on current industry skills;
- a compilation of Legal issues.
The Technical Issues in order to define a technology platform include the following analysis:
- recommendations on the generic positioning architecture for Consumer, Professional and Safety-of-Life end users;
- specifications of a Real Time Hardware Tool for developing, testing and optimising the generation of new positioning applications;
- specifications of a Software Development Tool, the associated methods and standardisation process dedicated to the positioning software development.
The study recommendations are focused on:
- the preparation of high level specification highlighted by the need for standardisation to predefine a multi-source positioning user terminal kernel;
- the supply of the potential industrialists and other stakeholders list which could be involved in a future development of the positioning user terminal kernel;
- the validation and the dissemination of the study through the organisation of a workshop and circulation of the Final Report to the European Industry.
MUSIK is a 7 months project duration.
The main milestones concern a mid term progress report with preliminary recommendations and a final review with the organisation of a Workshop.
The expected results are to provide recommendations to develop standards and related tools on common platforms for end-user applications, to reinforce European competitiveness through the mobilisation of large technological industries existing in Europe, to support integrated projects linked to the 6FP.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeACM - Preparatory, accompanying and support measures
See on map
KT15 2NX Addleston, Weybridge, Surrey
See on map