The objective is to develop and validate a standardised Vehicle Mission Simulation (VMS) tool for advancing and optimising efficient road based transport systems.
The simulation tool will have a wide application:
Assist from System Design and Integration to Policy Decision Support. Suitable for a wide range of users.
Model energy usage and environmental impact of current and future vehicles.
Includes Internal Combustion, Hybrid and Electric Vehicles.
The project includes a number of key phases:
- system boundaries, parameters, interactions and data formats Data Acquisition
- collection of data on routes, vehicles and systems
- definition of algorithms and optimisation routines
- object oriented software analysis, design and implementation Simulation and Optimisation
- validation and use of the VMS tool to optimise vehicle/route combinations.
Expected Achievements and Exploitation
The use of object oriented software technology to produce a simulation tool which is easy to reconfigure or extend.
The key features of the software tool include:
- intuitive graphical user interface.
- can be used by a wide variety of users with different levels of expertise.
- simulate a comprehensive range of systems and components. - accept data in many different formats.
- include calculation of multiple scenarios and optimisation routines. - robust and comprehensive relational database.
- on-line help system.
- executable windows program.
A database will be constructed including data on routes, vehicles and individual systems and components.
The VMS tool will be validated against a matrix of different vehicle types and routes. The tool will be used to define ways of optimising a number of existing vehicle/route combinations to reduce energy consumption and environmental impact.
The VMS tool will be able to assess a wide variety of control strategies and algorithms.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
N1 0PW London
NG11 0EE Nottingham
BA1 1JJ Bath
WV4 6BW Wolverhampton
43710 Santa Oliva
SE1 7NA London
WS13 6LL Lichfield
B42 2SU Birmingham
SG8 6TA Royston
17011 La Rochelle