To use straw residues (a current waste by-product of an existing straw processing activity) to produce environmentally friendly domestic firelighters and industrial fuel pellets utilising predominantly renewable materials. The RTD goals involve :
- Development of consistent particle size to ensure standardised processing conditions.
- Selection of and inclusion methods for additives to aid processing and presentation.
- Development of process conditions for mixing, extrusion/compaction.
- Development of test and analytical methodology to ensure conformance and performance standards.
- Compliance with ecological issues.