Objectives of the project
In order to reduce the costs for active solar collectors, a new collector type is proposed, that consists of elastomer fluid tubes clipped in into appropriately shaped metal form sheet elements for the application in metal roofs and façades. This collector, based on the elastomer- metal- absorberconcept (EMA), shows inherent freeze resistance while operated with pure water and opens up new simplified installation techniques. The collector, which is completely building integrated, may be designed as uncovered absorber, delivering low temperature heat, or as covered solar collector for a heat production up to 80 _C.
The aim of the project is to develop and investigate different roof integrated EMA- collectors in order to make this new type of collector available for a wide range of new applications. The aspects of low collector costs, high performance and long-term reliability are the most important boundary conditions.
The main R&D tasks within this project, which is a cooperation between industrial partners and research institutions, are:
- improvement of the elastomer material with special regard to heat conductivity, mechanical strength and durability
- production and qualification of appropriate elastomer tubes - development of absorber form plate constructions of aluminium and steel with focus on production and installation parameters, thermal performance and reliability
- construction and assessment of different test collectors (2 m_), determination of thermal performance characteristics, quality properties and long-term reliability
- construction of collector loops for different solar system types, assessment of collectors in different test systems (20 m_), comparison and extrapolation using computer simulations
The major advantages of the proposed collector concept are:
- estimated cost reduction for EMA- solar collectors of about 60 %, using the metal form plate function as absorber (its original function as building envelope is not affected)
- drastic drop in energy pay-back-time, improved recycling properties - solar market expansion by the engagement of metal fabrication and installing companies and new solar applications in metal façades resp. roofs - acceptance increase by complete building integration with improved architectural design
- a clear decrease of CO2 - emissions and a positive influence on the regional labour market
At the end of this project, the following items should be available - technical solutions for appropriate and proved elastomer tubes and metal form plates
- different collector and system constructions
- installation and security relevant solutions
The façade and roof integrated solar collectors on the basis of the EMAprinciple may then be used in different demonstration projects, as first step for the market introduction.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
781 23 Borlaenge
781 88 Borlange
780 41 Gagnef