The primary objective is to produce the optimal design for a standardised, cup anemometer which is suited to the requirements of the wind turbine industry and is essentially free from the design faults which are associated with all of the instruments currently commercially available.
A secondary objective is to prepare a classification system which will allow users of anemometry in the wind energy industry to select anemometers suited to specific required applications.
The approach of the project will be largely experimental with a very clear practical objective. Computer based or analytical modelling will be undertaken to support the experimental work.
The project will involve technical investigations in the areas of:
- sensitivity of cup anemometers to wind speed components outwith the horizontal plane in wind tunnels and in the field.
- bearing friction, with particular regard to temperature effects - dynamic response and its effect on the accuracy of mean wind speed and turbulence measurements
These investigations will be used in the context of two main target deliverables, these being
- a new classification scheme for cup anemometers
- a new, high accuracy, standard design for a cup anemometer suited to wind energy applications
Expected achievements and exploitation
The technical achievements of the project will be:
- the production of a design for a standardised anemometer, specifically suited to wind energy applications,
- comprehensive verification that the new design is ostensibly free from errors which are currently generic,
- the development of a thorough knowledge of how various geometric parameters affect the sensitivity of cup anemometers to out-of-plane wind speed components,
- evolution of the concept of a cup anemometer classification scheme, which could lead to an ISO standard.
Exploitation aims are to offer the design to European manufacturers and to encourage general adoption of the new design and the new classification system within the wider wind energy community.
Fields of science
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
See on map
See on map