This research project is mainly directed towards the development of a technical basis for the establishment of design guidelines for monolithic structures and breakwaters subject to breaking waves. Specific objectives of the project are:
1) to improve the physical understanding and modelling of the breaking wave impact mechanisms and other processes involved in the wave-structure-foundation soil interaction;
2) to perform numerical simulations of the most dominant of these mechanisms and processes; and
3) to improve the stability of the structure and its foundation by means of innovative constructional measures.
In order to achieve these objectives four research topics are addressed:
1) evaluation of breaking wave impact forces and structure-foundation soil interaction;
2) scaling of impact processes associated with air entrainment/entrapment;
3) prediction of seabed scour and toe erosion; and
4) assessment of wave overtopping including wind effects and devising of structural measures to increase the stability of the structure and its foundation.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
2600 AB Delft
OX10 8BA Wallingford
2600 MH Delft
BS8 1TW Bristol, Clifton
PL1 2DE Plymouth