This research project is mainly directed towards the development of a technical basis for the establishment of design guidelines for monolithic structures and breakwaters subject to breaking waves. Specific objectives of the project are:
1) to improve the physical understanding and modelling of the breaking wave impact mechanisms and other processes involved in the wave-structure-foundation soil interaction;
2) to perform numerical simulations of the most dominant of these mechanisms and processes; and
3) to improve the stability of the structure and its foundation by means of innovative constructional measures.
In order to achieve these objectives four research topics are addressed:
1) evaluation of breaking wave impact forces and structure-foundation soil interaction;
2) scaling of impact processes associated with air entrainment/entrapment;
3) prediction of seabed scour and toe erosion; and
4) assessment of wave overtopping including wind effects and devising of structural measures to increase the stability of the structure and its foundation.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
2600 AB Delft
OX10 8BA Wallingford
2600 MH Delft
BS8 1TW Bristol, Clifton
PL1 2DE Plymouth