The project intends to improve the state of the art of modern polar pesticides in water and to give a mean of verifying the quality of the determinations performed by producing a suitable certified reference material (CRM).
Modern polar pesticides are used in agriculture as herbicides and it is now recognized that these compounds strongly contaminate the aquatic system (surface and ground waters). Consequently, EC directives have been implemented to regulate the maximum permissible levels in water (0.1/ug/l). In order to control the quality of pesticide determination in water and hence give support to the directive, CRMs are needed. The project consists of preparing a candidate CRM of (freeze-dried) water containing seven polar pesticides, verifying the homogeneity and stability of the material and managing the certification campaign. The following tasks will be carried out:
- Preparation of a freeze-dried water candidate CRM containing polar pesticides;
- bottling of the powder obtained after homogeneisation;
- production of ca. 6000 bottles;
- verification of the between-bottle homogeneity (after reconstitution of the solution) and long term stability;
- certification via intercomparison.