This project developed a ship design which uses computer-aided design and engineering (CAD/CAE), to bring increased flexibility, productivity and design precision to small and medium-sized ship design companies.
The system, called LUNAIS, offers software features which give smaller shipbuilders the possibility to reduce variations in the ship design process, and to automate complex engineering and measurement tasks which traditionally were done manually.
The LUNAIS software allows small and medium-sized ship design companies to:
- Answer a maximum number of price requests in a minimum amount of time, with increased accuracy
- Automate many of the time-consuming elements of ship design such as drafting
- Boost precision and productivity for tasks such as cutting and cleaning, electric installation or hydraulics and piping, which are often done from preliminary plans, and manually by workers with no process for zero-variation production.
Time-savings are estimated at:
- 75-80% for technical activities and document specification
- 70-80% for drafting and grafting activities, compared to shipyards not equipped with CAD processes; and 20-25% compared to those equipped with CAD.
SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZE SHIPYARDS DO NOT AS A RULE MAKE MUCH USE OF COMPUTERS AND AUTOMATION.
THERE ARE NO INTEGRATED CUSTOM-MADE PROGRAMMES FOR EFFICIENT CAD/CAM.WHAT HAS TO BE DONE IS TO MAKE USE OF ALREADY EXISTING BUT NON-CUSTOMIZED PROGRAMMES TO PUT TOGETHER A POWERFUL SOFTWARE MAKING USE OF INTELLIGENT DATABASES, THAT WILL BE PARTICULARLY EFFECTIVE IN SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZED SHIPBUILDING FIRMS.
THE SOFTWARE WILL HAVE TO BE FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ALLOW INTEGRATION OF THE SPECIFIC FEATURES AND EXPERIENCE OF EACH SHIPYARD.
A SOFTWARE HAS TO BE DEFINED WHICH WILL ENSURE A HIGH LEVEL OF INTERACTIVITY BETWEEN THE DESIGNER AND THE MICROPROCESSOR SO AS TO PRESERVE THE ABUNDANCE OF BASIC INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO THE SHIPYARD.
THE PURPOSE FOR THIS APPLICATION IS TO DEVELOP A COMPLETE SOFTWARE TAILORED TO THE NEEDS OF A SMALL SHIPYARD, TAKING ACCOUNT OF THE FOLLOWING AIMS:- SPEEDING UP THE INITIAL STUDY LEADING TO THE TENDER, AN IMPORTANT POINT FROM THE BUSINESS ANGLE.
- SPEEDING UP DESIGN WORK.
- OPTIMIZING HULL STRUCTURE AND INCORPORATING A DEGREE OF STANDARDIZATION IN THE DESIGN OF EUROPEAN-MADE PARTS AND EQUIPMENT.
- MAKING IT POSSIBLE TO USE THE RESULTS FOR AUTOMATING PRODUCTION.
THE NOVELTY OF THE PROJECT LIES IN ADAPTING THE POWER OF DATA PROCESSING TO THE NEEDS OF A SMALL SHIPBUILDING ENTERPRISE, IN ORDER TO RESTORE ITS COMPETITIVENESS.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
6222 PC Maastricht