HIBW techniques have been successfully qualified. Other achievements to be highlighted include: 10 welding procedures have been qualified; 1000 RX inspections; 140 fatigue tests on whole specimens; 40 creep tests. Four different base materials were used - ranging from light alloy, to steel, to super-alloy.
Other important developments of this project include:
- The successful qualification of HIBW
- The establishing of future codes, such as tolerant ranges and WPS for laser beam welding
- The performances of innovative NDT have been quantified and appear to be in agreement with the forecast values
- Results illustrate that HIBW is becoming more common in the joining of aeronautic and energy components
- Laser and E-Beam welding procedures have been qualified according to the relevant industrial codes on all materials (AISI 9310, and ASTM A335 gr.P5 Steel, AA6061 aluminium alloy, ALLOY 800 superalloy)
- Fatigue tests on the whole specimens and creep tests at high temperature have been performed on HIBW joints, correlating the thermo-mechanical properties of HIBW joints with the welding procedures.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
21017 Cascina Costa Di Samarate Varese