To improve pedestrian safety and comfort at traffic lights by means of a more suitable system of pedestrian signals and traffic control. This aim will be achieved by improvements in the following areas:
- More attention to the needs, wishes and comfort of the pedestrian;
- To develop communication with pedestrians and therefore increase their sense of responsibility;
- To put at traffic engineers' disposal control equipment for this communication which will be more effective and more reliable (signals, detectors, algorithms).
The main aim of the research was to improve pedestrian safety and comfort at traffic lights by means of a more suitable system of pedestrian signals and traffic control.
The following developments have been completed:
a new pedestrian signal with a new message;
a waiting pedestrian detector based on a resistant rubber sensor;
a crossing pedestrian detector based on passive infrared technology;
an algorithm to manage the system which comprises pedestrian detectors and signals, vehicle detectors and signals and a traffic controller.
Tests including behavioural studies are in progress in 6 locations.
The technical approach is divided into 3 parts:
- Development of new strategies of pedestrian, signal and traffic control;
- Research into and perfection of reliable pedestrian detectors and algorithms;
- Full scale tests in the field of the complete set of tools developed and recommendation based on the evaluation tests.
New pedestrian signal;
Moving and standing pedestrians detectors;
Recommendations regarding new European regulation and strategies for traffic control.
RG11 6AU Crowthorne