The PROXiTV project aims to build a high quality video content distribution solution for TV channels and telecom operators on ADSL broadband networks. The PROXiTV technical solution addresses the need of providing real interactivity to a large public of home users connected to broadband local loops through PC or TV. The project will experiment on 3 ADSL loops (Vienna, Linz, Steyr), a set of new services using high quality video programmes from ORF, the national Austrian television channel, and Eurosport TV. The technical solution, based on multimedia proxy servers and IP transport network, will be managed by a system integrator, MS&I, with the help of INRIA's expertise in data transport optimisation onto networks.
PROXiTV aims at establishing a high bandwidth Internet and TV solution, by taking advantages of the existence of local broadband loops. The basic idea is to build a global technical solution for providing really interactive services to a large public of home users connected directly, from their PC or TV, to a proxy server at the head traffic point of broadband local loops.
Projects issues are:
1) to build an efficient distribution infrastructure of multimedia proxies
2) to develop new interactive content-oriented services exploiting true bandwidth access
3) to conduct a large scale experiment on 3 ADSL local loops (VIENNA, LINZ and STEYR), B-to-C services with high quality interactive WEB (with TV and VOD), and B to B applications.
1) Implement the technology of local cache proxy server able to deliver high quality multimedia content; the targeted server technology includes any content management service, for content ingestion in the server or for on-line content management. It will be based on low cost PC based solutions from Sycomore Aerospatiale Matra.
2) Integrate the local broadband loop with high bandwidth communication services and the central hub server.
3) Execute the trials consisting in conveying content from the central hub to the local loop, exploiting existing infrastructure and resources from Austrian Telekom, WebfreeTV and Eurosport.
The major issues for the project are:
1) At the network level, the provision of an infrastructure that is bottleneck-free, i.e. end-users should be able to access online high quality broadcast, video-on-demand and multimedia content in almost real-time,
2) At the hardware level, the provision of a solution meeting both technical and economic requirements,
3) At the software level, the provision of a set of tools to manage, distribute, measure and charge on line multimedia content. The system should also be able to handle all major multimedia standards.
The resulting environment will be demonstrated in different application environments providing user requirements and preparing exploitation:
1) Business to consumer environment: three location experiments involving Austrian Telekom with Webfreetv in Austria and Eurosport will be set-up to assess this application field.
2) Business to business environments: Webfreetv will also develop applications for covering special events and e-commerce.
The project's milestones are:
at Month 6: the full specification of the PROXiTV architecture built from users requirements and an early experiment set-up at 1 site
at Month 12: a first non-optimised version of the PROXiTV content management tools installed on the central system
at Month 18: the fully optimised PROXiTV system installed at the three locations (over 1000 users connected)
at Month 24: the demonstration and assessment of the system with the TV providers' applications.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
92130 Issy Les Moulineaux
78153 Le Chesnay