A total of 939 proposals were submitted to the European Commission following the second call for proposals for RTD projects under the specific programme in the field of industrial and materials technologies (BRITE/EURAM III). The call, launched on 15 December 1995 with a closing date of 17 April 1996, concerned RTD projects (shared cost actions) in the fields of production technologies, product innovation technologies, and surface transport technologies. The 939 proposals submitted represent a total cost of ECU 3,180 million and an EC contribution of ECU 1,760 million. Since the budget allocation for the second call is ECU 400 million, an average of one out of every four projects will receive funding. Proposals for industrial research projects represent 84% while the remaining 16% covers basic research. The percentage of proposals submitted under each area of the call is as follows: - Area 1 - Production technologies: 42% - Area 2 - Materials and technologies for product innovation: 44% - Area 3B - Technologies for modes of surface transport: 14% The evaluation and selection procedure for these proposals is still under way.