ECsafeSEAFOOD aims to assess safety issues mainly related to non-regulated contaminants present in seafood as a result of environmental contamination and evaluate their impact on public health. Results from the project can inform policy makers about the need for and requirements of seafood regulatory and monitoring programmes for these contaminants of emerging concern.
The aim of this workshop is to gain better insights into actions and steps that ECsafeSEAFOOD can take considering the project results on non-regulated contaminants of emerging concern for the implementation of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) – Descriptor 9 (Contaminants in fish and seafood for human consumption) and Descriptor 10 (Marine litter).
This event is targeted towards EC and other policy and decision makers involved in MSFD.
The workshop will consist of presentations and break-out sessions, thereby enabling fruitful discussions and exchanges. Participation will be limited to ensure optimal networking and exchange between participants.
Expected output of the workshop:
• Gain insight into the steps and actions ECsafeSEAFOOD should take to allow ECsafeSEAFOOD’s results to be used for the implementation of MSFD and any other relevant policy
• Strengthen the role of science in supporting safe seafood policy and establish robust communication channels between science and relevant policy makers
Confirmed speakers include:
• Marta Iglesias - DG RTD, Marine Resources Unit
• Frank Swartenbroux – DG Santé
• António Marques – Instituto Portugues do Mar e Atmosfera (IPMA), ECsafeSEAFOOD coordinator
• Isabelle Sioen/Silke Jacobs - University of Ghent
• Johan Robbens - The Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research
• Alice Tediosi – Aeiforia
• Lolita Vilavert - Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV)
Venue: OPERA Research, Delegation of the Lombardia Region (3rd floor), Place du Champs de Mars, 2 - 1050 Brussels, Belgium
To register, please contact Alice Tediosi (email@example.com) by 13 November 2015.
For more information, see: http://www.ecsafeseafood.eu/images/ECsafeSEAFOOD/News/ECSafeSeaFood_Workshop_Flyer_Update.pdf