Application of remote sensing in European forest monitoring
An international workshop on the "Application of remote sensing in European forest monitoring" will be held in Vienna, Austria, from 14 to 16 October 1996. The workshop is being organized by the FIRS project of the Commission's Joint Research Centre in collaboration with EUROSTAT, Directorate-General VI (Agriculture) of the European Commission, the Institute for Surveying and Remote Sensing (Vienna, Austria) and the Institute for Digital Image Processing (Graz, Austria). The European Forest Institute (Joensuu, Finland) is also involved.
The workshop will provide a state-of-the-art review on the use of remote sensing for Europe-wide forest resource assessment. Workshop leaders will try to highlight fields in which the scientific experiences are well enough developed that applications can easily be defined and realized, as well as define topics which need special attention in order to develop application methods.
The topics to be covered at the workshop will include:
- Overview of the state-of-the-art in forestry and remote sensing and geographic information services;
- Realistic evaluation of the utility of remote sensing in European forestry;
- Experiences gained from small-scale applications;
- Accuracy and reliability;
- Optimization of forest inventories using remote sensing.
For further information, please contact:
Joint Research Centre
Dr. Pam Kennedy
FIRS Project - TP 442
Space Applications Institute
I-21020 Ispra (VA)
Tel. +39-332-785978; Fax +39-332-789469