NiSIS overall mission aims:
- to co-ordinate multi-disciplinary studies and research endeavours into the development and utilisation of intelligent paradigms in advanced information systems design.
- to extend investigations into emerging new areas inspired by nature, both at biological (ie.micro) and behavioural (ie. macro) levels for visionary concepts of information processing and architectures.
The project will comprise four parts aiming to interconnect different disciplines and activities in an effective scheme:
- The core of the project is a set of three Focus Groups which are to deliver the scientific and technological contributions of the programme. There are Focus Groups on: Nature-inspired Data Technology, Nature-inspired Networks, and Nature-inspired Systems Modelling, Optimisation and Control.
- Technology Transfer will take results from the 3 Focus Groups in terms of technological concepts and algorithms, but also contribute challenges via Competitive Workshops concentrating on benchmarking situations taken from real-life relating to IST situations. Training and Education will give added-value in terms of cross-disciplinary instruction and motivation etc. for an upcoming generation of young researchers.
- The overall integration of the Project will be overseen by an ITB (Integrated Technology Board), with participants from all of the above groups and committees, thus providing both 'pulling' technology from the life sciences and 'driving' the technology into IST via technical co-ordination of the project and a comprehensively designed Roadmap.
- The co-ordination of NiSIS will be achieved via the management component provided by the ELITE Foundation.
Apart from the overall co-ordination, assessment of the Project and project activities supervision, the Co-ordinator will seek collaboration between the participating multidisciplinary Partners as well as new potential partners enhancing the research opportunities of NiSIS.
Funding SchemeCA - Coordination action
BH12 5BB Poole
EC1A 7AJ London
166 36 Praha
2800 Kgs. Lyngby
3062 PA Rotterdam
NG7 2RD Nottingham
S10 2TN Sheffield
6200 MD Maastricht
BS8 1TH Bristol
7522 NB Enschede
75252 Paris Cedex 05