To efficiently implement e-Health to meet the rising needs of mobile citizens, patients and providers, the fragmented interoperability initiatives now distributed throughout different EU and Member State (MS) programmes must come together.
They must be coordinated with the increasing need to link clinical data to information from basic biological sciences and evidence of best clinical practice. Considering the need for interoperability at the MS and cross-border level of the EU - as expressed in the EU e-Health Action Plan - and for global interoperability - as represented by WHO - it is necessary to embark on a process that will prompt the divergent initiatives to join forces for the benefit of all citizens.
This SemanticHEALTH SSA develops a European and global roadmap for research in health-ICT, focusing on semantic interoperability issues of e-Health systems and infrastructures. The roadmap will be based on consensus of the research community, and validated by stakeholders, industry and MS health authorities.
- identifies key short-term (2-5 years) and medium-term (4-10 years) research needs to achieve semantic interoperability of e-Health systems (including issues of nomenclatures presently in use, classifications, terminologies, ontologies, EHR and messaging models, public health and secondary uses, and decision support, their relationships, mapping needs, limitations)
- analyses unsolved research issues arising in the context of realistic approaches to priority clinical and public health settings (reflecting on models of use, benefits expected, concrete application experience and lessons learned; relevance of open source model)
- takes account of the impact of non-technological (health policy, legal, socio-economic) aspects
- reflects and integrates results of related FP6 (e-Health ERA, i2-Health and other) studies.
The consortium and associated experts represent centres of excellence from four continents and the WHO.
Field of science
- /medical and health sciences/health sciences/health care services/ehealth
- /medical and health sciences/health sciences/public and environmental health
- /natural sciences/biological sciences
Funding SchemeSSA - Specific Support Action
CH-1211 Geneve 27