The CHORIST project will propose solutions to increase rapidity and effectiveness of interventions following natural hazards and industrial accidents, in order to enhance citizens' safety and communications between rescue actors.
The main objective is to develop a system made of the following subsystems:
1. A fully integrated, reliable and performing alert chain delivering alerts to authorities with inputs from heterogeneous sensors, disparate agencies and citizens;
2. Heterogeneous communication means (radio, TV, sirens, GSM) to dispatch messages from authorities to as many citizens as possible within the crisis area and with limited delay;
3. Secured, rapidly deployable and interoperable voice and high data-rate telecommunication systems (incl. ad-hoc networks) for in the field risk response teams.
A CHORIST system, addressing the different phases of crisis management (monitoring, preparation and response) will be designed to work with:
- The upstream systems used in the prevention and forecast phases,
- The downstream crisis management systems, i.e. Command and Control systems.
Interoperability with these systems, legacy or future, will be an essential criterion.
The CHORIST project will:
i) Involve users (Civil Protection Authorities, citizens and telecommunication operators) all along the project life, in order get their requirements and their feedback on the ongoing technical developments;
ii) Derive technical requirements from the user inputs, then develop the three subsystems (alert chain subsystem, message dispatch subsystem and rapidly deployable subsystem) and finally integrate them into one CHORIST system;
iii) Set up a demonstration in Spain to validate the proposed concepts and assess performances;
iv) Promote the project to the broader scientific and user community (knowledge dissemination, standardisation, impact assessment and exploitation)
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/telecommunications network
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/crisis management
Funding SchemeIP - Integrated Project
EC2A 3AY London
LN6 3QN Lincoln
16000 Praha 6
08908 Hospitalet De Llobregat