Acquiring media contents, structuring and attaching metadata and controls, archiving and exploiting in various modes (i.e. organising an easy accesses and powerful searches for the users) are complex processes for which many approaches have been developed.
The present project intends to contribute to the elaboration of solutions to that challenge, having three specific properties in mind:
1. Maximum computer assistance to the archivists for attaching ontology and semantics to the contents. The future operators will be assisted by an innovative facility of "Source separation", combined with classical "Speech to Text" and "Wave to Midi" transcription functions.
2. Maximum computer assistance to the users (customers, scientists) for searching and finding their targets in large databases. The future operators will be assisted by an innovative facility of "Advance search based on semantic associations". Its development will apply, in the context of the media, strategies developed for biology and genetics, using the textual annotation associated with and within the media.
3. Open system approach.
The project will design an implementation, named AXIS, of the reference model presented in the ISO standard "Open Archival Information Systems":
- Open to the acquisition and to the exploitation of old archives and to new productions
- Predictable persistence (i.e. integrity and long term availability)
- Interoperability (i.e. capacity to exchange subsets of the databases)
- Scalability (i.e. capacity to operate from small to large systems)
- Adaptability (i.e. capacity to be adapted to the specific needs of a context)
The project will demonstrate the three innovations on a prototype system.
It will generate two "General Software Libraries", one for 'source separation', one for 'advanced searches'. The specifications of the 'open system' will be made freely available under an "Open Licence" covering the interchange specifications.
Fields of science
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
3000 Bern 15
75352 Paris 07