Climate refugia identified for butterfly conservation
Gaps still remain in our understanding of the ecology and distributions of pollinator insects, particularly in relation to future climatic conditions. The EU-funded PROBAE project will address this situation by creating a framework to identify areas of conservation priority for pollinator insects across Europe. The focus will be on butterflies and climate change refugia, which will increase the likelihood of species' persistence in future climatic conditions. The project will use data on the distribution of European butterflies and novel modelling approaches to identify diversity hotspots. It will also assess if forests can increase the persistence of threatened butterflies in the face of climate change and determine which areas should be prioritised to protect climate change refugia across the EU.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesecologylandscape ecology
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesecologyecosystems
- natural sciencesbiological scienceszoologyentomology
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesatmospheric sciencesclimatologyclimatic changes
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesphysical geography