A new vaccine against fungal pathogens
Treatment of fungal infections poses a significant medical challenge due to the few available drugs and the associated resistance. Efforts so far to develop vaccines have been met with limited success. VacCan is an EU-funded project that aims to develop a novel vaccine against Candida albicans, the leading cause of fungal infections in humans. Vaccine design will combine three proteins of the fungus, thereby providing multiple antigens against which a more robust immune response can be generated. The VacCan approach will advance vaccine research and pave the way for more effective management of fungal pathogens.
Fields of science
- medical and health scienceshealth sciencesinfectious diseases
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesbiochemistrybiomoleculesproteins
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesmicrobiologymycology
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicineimmunology
- medical and health sciencesbasic medicinepharmacology and pharmacypharmaceutical drugsvaccines