The objectives of the ESSI application expreiment are:
* To define and implement a new software production technology suited for the development of commercial software
* To review and experiment with the latest design methodologies, tools and languages in a hybrid software environment
* To develop software quality assurance as an integral part of software process and product assessment. Specific objectives are to enable more accurate project scheduling, to ensure delivery of products to time and budget, to increase productivity and to reduce time to market.
* To investigate and develop testing methodologies
* To improve costing techniques for software development, testing, production and maintenance.
The partnership between BYG Systems and LABEIN will focus on both the methodologies adopted for software production, and the experiences gained in the progress towards a quality accreditation (BS 5750 or ISO 9001). In particular, LABEIN will experiment extensively with object oriented methodologies, and the knowledge acquired and recommendations made will form the basis of a much smaller trial of such methodologies in software development at BYG. This work is focused in a joint task in the workplan. The results of the application experiment will be of interest to third parties seeking to integrate quality at all stages in the process of software development and in particular to those adopting an object oriented design approach.