It is intended to realise the phases planning, analysis and design of the software engineering process for the following baseline project:
Order Processing system for the company Germanischer Lloyd (Hamburg, Germany)
For this company a very complex software system has to be enlarged which will be described in the following parts.
1.1 The company of the baseline project
The company Germanischer Lloyd is as an Classification Society represented with more than 400 Branches and Inspection Offices in 112 countries.
The activities concern:
- ship classification
- surveys within the framework of classification
- marine advisory services, e.g. calculations of intact and damaged stability, as well as strength and vibration computations for container ships
- safety analyses, e.g. for oil transport
- examination of technical equipment's, e.g. yard cranes, gas processing plants, booster platforms, gas plants
- carry out measurements, e.g. exhaust gas emission, measurements on heavy-fuel operation of marine engines
- certification of offshore technology, underwater technology, mechanical engineering, electrotechnology in shipbuilding
- approval and certification of wind energy converters
1.2 Subjects of the baseline project
For the company described in 1) the order processing system shall be supported by a new software application system. That means, new software modules have to be developed and if necessary to be integrated into existing ones. The order processing system has to process
In the project several kinds of orders have to be processed:
- orders of the head department
- orders of inspection offices
Furthermore several types for every kind of order have to be considered:
- orders with detailed invoiced expense
- orders with fixed price
- orders based on fixed tariffs
The software has to carry out the following functions for offer treatment:
- open a new offer
- process offers
and the functions for order treatment:
- open a new order
- process orders
- check orders
- invoice orders
- order costing/controlling
The software has to be developed for an IBM mainframe with the Database IDMS.
The problems in analysing and planning the new software modules result from:
- the complicated organisation structure of the company
- the variety of demands, especially from existing software solutions
- the different demands resulting from inspection offices in several countries
- the various subjects, described in 1)
The described baseline project will be planned and analysed by different Upper-CASE-Tools, i.e.
- analyse knowledge about business concepts
- data modelling (entities, relationships) for the new software modules
- data flow diagrams, including the relations to datas of existing project parts
- data inventory
- functional analysis
- process design
will be treated by the chosen tools. The investigations will be done with the help of different Upper-CASE-Tools to find out criteria for choosing suitable methods. Especially the use of Upper-CASE-Tools has to be evaluated against several methods used so far. The software engineers will be made familiar with methods of different origins, also experience and skill of several high-tech engineering aids will be gathered.
Aiming at cost reductive tools and standards for analysis and design products based on state-of-the-art methodology to cope with different customer requests concerning software solutions will be documented according to ISO9000 regulations in the outcome.
Especially of interest for the software engineering community should be the fact, that by assessing the efficiency before and after the changes in methodology and techniques with BOOTSTRAP a kind of cost and gain report can be disseminated and exploited.