We continue a novel model (introduced in 2002) for combined, intensive training in research on the pre- and postdoctoral level. This can be implemented by having two Marie Curie Training Courses, 2 weeks each with a period of 4 weeks in between for intensive individual research.
This provides 8 weeks for a session ("EuroTraining Session"), which is necessary to advance meaningfully in small, individual research projects. Completion will usually be accomplished via electronic communication and mutual visits. The aim is to combine and implement in Europe the scientific excellence of the Center of Physics in Aspen (Colorado, USA) with the interactive training achieved by the Program of Geophysical Fluids Dynamics in Woods Hole (Massachusetts, USA). Thus, we insist on having at the beginning of a session a lecture series with strong student involvement.
Efforts to create a new workshop centre dedicated to activities of the above type are actively pursued. The general topic is the multidisciplinary field of nonlinear science, which would thus experience a boost in Europe - a welcome effect in view of its poor coverage at many universities. After the specific topics "Biomechanics: from molecules to morphogenesis" in 2002, "From pattern formation to granular physics and soft condensed matter" in 2003, "Growth Phenomena and Front Dynamics" in 2004 we now propose:
- Teaching physics through nonlinear dynamics (in 2005),
- Stochastic processes, fluctuations and noise (in 2006),
- Systemic approaches to biological physics (in 2007).
The first topic has special relevance in raising interest of young Europeans for a career in physics since in many institutions Young Researchers are involved in teaching. The sessions of 2006 and 2007 cover topics that are particularly dynamic at this time.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencescondensed matter physicssoft matter physics
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicsfluid dynamics
- natural sciencesmathematicsapplied mathematicsdynamical systems
- natural scienceschemical sciencesinorganic chemistrypost-transition metals
- natural sciencesmathematicspure mathematicsmathematical analysisdifferential equationspartial differential equations
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call