The purpose of the proposed project is to develop a new concept of cellular chiral material having Negative Poissons ratio with enhanced mechanical and dielectric properties, able to include in its microstructure and sensor and actuators to be implemented in innovative smart sandwich structures. The novel structural core concept will have paradigmatic properties compared to classical honeycomb materials currently used to manufacture sandwich components with complex shapes, and multifunctional active chara cteristics for stuctural health monitoring and electromagnetic compatibility applications, with no detriment to the structural integrity of the components. At the moment, no single core material can be used in a multifunctional design contect like the on e the consortium is proposing to develop. The project is divided in workpackages dedicated to base multiphysics modeling, sandwich structure design, embedding structural health monitoring and microwave absorption capabilities with custom-designed microse nsors and actuators in the material configurations. The multiphysics properties of the chiral material will be benchmarked against the ones of available core solids for sandwich applications to assess the engineering feasibility of the proposed material a gainst current technology. Separate workpackages are dedicated to Multidomain design recommendations and management of the consortium. A network consisting of production companies, research institutes and universities will achieve the project goals. The know-how developed will be ideal to stimulate the development of intellectual properties, innovative end-user products and technology transfers. Dissemination through conferences and a special workshop organised at the end of the project will raise the a wareness about the existence and applications of the material developed during the work.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologycivil engineeringstructural engineeringstructural health monitoring
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesenvironmental sciencespollution
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencescomputational sciencemultiphysics
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call