The aim of the proposal is to develop a nanoscale toolbox to create smart materials based on the use of natural and artificial nucleic acids. Nanometer sized particles and single (bio)molecules will be connected with restricted and well defined placing to each other and to surfaces. Focus of the proposed STREP is to develop basic building blocks that are capable to arrange by self organisation facilitated by molecular recognition. Complexes generated by nucleic acid directed assembly may be non-periodic and non-regular to combine complex features. Examples of application of such material are incorporated in the project, to direct the development and show the potential of the long term-innovation introduced by NUCAN. Fields of application are bioanalytics, ph armaceutical receptor screening and nanoelectronics. Besides the information content and their dominant role in all life sciences, esp. genetics, nucleic acids have unique properties as polymers and as macromolecules. Both the addressability of each unique site within a given sequence on a nucleic acid strand by base recognition as well as the chemical homogeneity of the polymer through the repeating unit of the backbone makes nucleic acids ideal molecules for the construction of highly ordered but non-peri odic supramolecular entities. The aim of the proposal is to develop nanometer scale constructs made of nucleic acids in one, two and three dimensions. Basic principles and development of enabling technologies, detection and production processes are in the focus of the proposal to prepare a basis for applications of nucleic acid based nanoconstructs.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/optics/microscopy
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology/nanoelectronics
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/genetics and heredity/dna
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/biochemistry/biomolecules/proteins
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/biochemistry/biomolecules/nucleic acid
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project