The project NANOCAPS will develop new technologies based on microencapsulation to solve industrial problems related to controlled release of chemicals. The technical objectives are to develop nanomaterials and nanocomposite coatings for cost-efficient production of nanocapsules and, to validate the technical and economical feasibility of the knowledge acquired in the fields of biomedical (anti-proliferating and anti-allergic agents) and metal plating (self repair) applications. NANOCAPS will greatly contribute to the environment policy in Europe and to improve the quality of life of people (health). To achieve the objectives, NANOCAPS has been configured in five main activities(WP) addressing specific problems.
Two of these are technology oriented (WP1 and WP2), and concern the production of nanomaterials as capsule core and shell. Two others are directed basic research (WP3 and WP4), and consider fundamental studies on the reactivity of the core materials and the capsules, and the development of new advanced methods for the characterisation of nanocapsules. The fifth activity considers the validation and exploitation of the knowledge in multisectorial industrial prototypes. The industrial end-users define the active molecules and the components of the capsules. The Universities and Research Centres will study the basic properties, and together they will develop the process and synthesis of capsule core and shell.
Finally, the project will make a validation of the system and the process developed, with mobile test units for targeted applications. The objectives of NANOCAPS are relevant for the Topic 18.104.22.168-1 of NMP-3 due to the novel technologies used for building nanoengineered ultrathin layers and nanoparticles as capsule components, but are also relevant for the Topic 22.214.171.124-1 due to the development of new technologies for manufacturing micro- and nanocapsules, and for the topic 126.96.36.199-2 due to the construction of the capsule shell.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/polymer science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/coating and films
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology/nano-materials
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/composites
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/metals
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project