To provide product designers, industrial designers, product managers, engineers, researchers, and academics in the industrial product development sector with interactive multimedia tools and information systems and services. Thereby to improve the skills and practical performance of the European product development industries. The project will address the use of sophisticated network applications. It will allow the integration of a wide range of information sources and digital media into the process of product development. It has the aim of reinforcing the competitive position of European companies by providing users with direct access to such relevant information sources and technological facilities. It will enable distant work groups and design companies to integrate networked multimedia data on products, materials and research into their own computing environments. Such facilities will support product design, simulation and rapid prototyping. The project will also make available on-line design tools providing services at a distance.
The Proposal sets out a Feasibility Study into a Pilot Project for Information Engineering Research into Interactive Multimedia Tools and Information Systems applied to Industrial Product Development The aim is to develop tools or methods that will allow the integration and application of new digital media into product development processes that will improve the quality and the competitiveness of the product development sector.
The Pilot Project is designed to increase the effective application of digital media into the process, and it will provide target groups with:
- Interactive access and effective use of multimedia information systems and services, such as databases on materials, ergonomics, environmental issues and products;
- Methods and tools for information and service exchange and retrieval; to facilitate the integration of digital information and media into their development processes and their working environments; the system will need to handle text-, images- and audio-data but also complex data of 3D Computer Aided Designs and Virtual Reality.
- Efficient collaboration and services at distance between different parties involved in the process; reduction of time-to-market and capital investments.
The system will be conceived as a transaction-based system with a commercial charging mechanism.
The I.E. research covers many of the specified tasks, grouped particularly around the key areas of development and management of interactive multimedia tools and information systems; the creation of networked services and the integration of different (existing) digital media;
methods of connecting different users' environments and applications into the integral product development process;
data dissemination, retrieval and related transactional and legal issues. The development of novel and user-friendly interface models is seen as a particularly important element of the project.
Fields of science
- humanitiesartsmodern and contemporary artradio and television
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringinformation engineering
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesdatabases
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftwaresoftware applicationsvirtual reality
- social sciencespsychologyergonomics
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
SE1 6SB London
See on map