The primary objective is to assist the "vertical projects" concerned with IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) management and co-financed by the European Commission. The aim is to do this by taking advantage of the experience gained in an earlier ESPRIT Project, CITED (EP 5469, Copyright In Transmitted Electronic Documents). This will support the development and implementation of an interoperable IPR ECMS (Electronic Copyright Management System). A related objective is to cooperate with the vertical projects in a standardisation process that is necessary to permit interoperability among different ECMS.
These objectives will be met through the following processes:
- an identification and feasibility study of coordination with the vertical projects concerned , including an analysis of their business cases
- transfer of the CITED technical expertise and, possibly, existing technology for rapid implementation, maintenance and upgrade of the CITED model
- examination of legal IPR issues
- preparation of pre-standards in the area of IPR identifiers and EDI/ECMS messages
- organisation of ECMS proficiency centres and of ECMS technology and standards SIGs (Special Interest Groups) and workshops in Europe.
COPEARMS will actively cooperate with IMPRIMATUR (EP 20676), another "horizontal" project in the IPR domain aiming at a world-wide consensus-building process within the information industry. COPEARMS will participate in the business and legal SIGs and workshops held by IMPRIMATUR and in feeding into the electronic communication network that will be managed by IMPRIMATUR.
The COPEARMS project is intended to last three years, starting towards the end of 1995. Its resources are based on the assumption of a coordination feasibility study of some eight vertical projects and actual coordination of four middle-sized vertical consortia.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
2509CH The Hague
RG12 1YQ Bracknell