- To provide tools which support the effective design of PCB/MCMs using current and newly emerging technologies.
- To provide a unified environment in which the placement and routing activities can be considered together, with constraints and design rules from either discipline being obeyed simultaneously.
- To increase the productivity of PCB/MCM designers to allow demands of decreasing time to market targets to be met.
- The project will validate the tools and work practices in commercial design environments. The users are committed to using the tools developed on real production designs and, if successful, to adopt them into their design departments.
- The results will be progressively delivered to the market by the EDA vendor partner.
The challenges of high density, complex circuitry and the demands of new substrate and packaging technologies impose progressively greater pressures on PCB and MCM designers. In addition, the pressure to reduce time-to-market is a constant requirement. These demands require new developments in CAD tools to allow designers not only to take into account a huge set of constraints imposed by circuit speed, manufacturing requirements, thermal performance, and the specifications of reliability and EM interference, but also to perform the design function in shorter time frames on the way to achieving complete design "compilation" or "synthesis".
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
SW15 1SW Putney