The Network of the Future Building the Future Optical Network
The BONE-network brings together 49 laboratories and research institutes from al over Europe in a close networking infrastructure, built on the foundations laid down by the FP6 ePhoton/ONe Network and represents the research activities within Europe in the field of Optical Networks. The core activity of the BONE-project is the stimulation of intensified collaboration, exchange of researchers and integration of activities and know-how into and amongst partners. Through the establishment of Virtual Centres of Excellence, the BONE-project looks into the future and builds and supports the final “Network of the Future” through education & training, research tools & testlabs on new technologies & architectures.
The leading-edge position of European Research in the field and, consequently, of European industry, could be threatened by returning to an uncoordinated and scattered approach to optical networking research. BONE consolidates the process, supported during FP6, of integration and reorganization of research efforts across European academic and industrial groups in FP7 through:
The BONE-proposal proposes to solidify the current e-Photon/ONe network and has the objective to provide a limited number of Virtual Centres of Excellence on specific issues:
- VCE Network Technologies and Engineering
- VCE Services and Applications
- VCE Access networks
- VCE Optical switching systems
- VCE Transmission techniques
- VCE In-building Networks
These Virtual Centres of Excellence group, align and (re-)structure the research activities of the BONE-partners involved in such a way that a coherent solution and service can be offered to BONE internal and external partners and projects.
Hot and multidisciplinary topics and issues are handled and looked at through a limited number of Topical Projects which each have a limited duration.
These Topical Projects are either horizontal projects which make use of the expertise available at different Virtual Centres of Excellence or tackle specific issues to fill in specific needs or gaps in the expertise of the Virtual Centres of Excellence.
- TP Service aware optical network architectures
- TP MPLS, GMPLS and routing
- TP Optical communication networks in support of user mobility and networks in motion
- TP Edge-to-core adaptation for hybrid networks
- TP Optical Interconnects
- TP Alternatives for multi-layer networking with cross-layer optimization
- TP Physical Impairments constrain based routing in packet switching networks
Some of the activities within the BONE project are defined to support the general working of the project or centralise the dissemination & teaching activities.
- WP01: Dissemination & Outreach
- WP02: Teaching
- WP03: Electronic Communication Aid
As training and dissemination of the expertise and know-how of the BONE-Virtual Centres of Excellence and the results of the Topical Projects is essential and set as one of the major goals of the network, these activities will be taken care of in a centralised and coordinated activity.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/wireless
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/information engineering/telecommunications/telecommunications network/optical network
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeNoE - Network of Excellence
GU2 8SG Guildford, Surrey