We propose to develop and implement mathematical models and tools for the design and evaluation of martensitic ultra-thin film based micro-devices. Our primary objective is to design a family of martensitic micro-devices and to investigate their applicability as the open loop drug delivery systems.
We will investigate their applicability for specific diseases where more potent drugs are available but not applicable due to their undesirable side effects. Significant portion of our activity will be carried out in collaboration with mathematicians, materials scientists and medical research doctors to initiate micro-fabrication of functional samples and to provide in-vitro testing of the proposed technology.
Significant portion of the EXC activity will be devoted to lecturing, teaching and directing two Ph.D. students. We will develop four courses to complement the curriculum of the University of Neuchatel.
Namely, we will offer the following courses
- mathematical approaches to the thermodynamics of structured solids,
- mathematical theory of crystalline thin films,
- application of stochastic processes in multi-scale materials science,
- advanced numerical methods for approximation of the measure-valued descriptors of nano-systems.
The two Ph.D. Thesis will be
- Methods for computational modeling of multi-functional materials with the focus on the martensitic thin films,
- Mathematical design, evaluation and micro-fabrication of the micro-devices applicable to the open loop Targeted drug delivery in the specific form of the martensitic ultra thin film micro-actuators.
The proposed research contributes to the area of emerging science and technologies. The activity is designed to focus on the area of nano-technologies and nano-sciences, multifunctional materials and new devices.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/mathematics/applied mathematics/numerical analysis
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/coating and films
- /medical and health sciences/medical biotechnology/nanomedicine
- /engineering and technology/medical engineering/diagnostic imaging/magnetic resonance imaging
- /natural sciences/mathematics/applied mathematics/mathematical model
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/nanocomposites
- /medical and health sciences/clinical medicine/cancer
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call