SCUTUM objective is to launch and pursue a concrete path supporting EGNOS services adoption in the transport of dangerous goods in Europe.
SCUTUM is conceived to exploit the added value of EGNOS CS/EDAS for providing “guaranteed positioning” services.
The project rationale is to follow-up the actions identified in MENTORE enabling the evolution of EGNOS use from prototype to large adoption.
SCUTUM approach is to convey existing commercial initiatives into EGNOS, in order to:
1. Ensure large scale use involving the main stakeholders (institutions, authorities, goods owners, transport operators, service/application providers, equipment manufacturers)
2. Extensively validate EGNOS CS/EDAS based solution in real commercial operations
3. Initiate technical standardisation
4. Provide technological and market inputs for EGNOS CS pricing
5. Define and validate the commercial distribution and market strategy.
SCUTUM enhances existing solutions (on-board units and service/application platforms) to use EGNOS CS/EDAS services. SCUTUM implements a system and operates it in a large scale trial involving 100 vehicles transporting hydrocarbons in Europe via road.
SCUTUM trial starts from an Italian best case and extends it in two neighbouring countries, France and Austria, as a first step for its deployment.
The successive step is its explosion to other European countries, and extension to other modes of transport and other freight types.
SCUTUM exploitation is conceived to boost the EGNOS EDAS-based services uptake in the freight transport, and as in line with the European policies and Action Plans related to ITS deployment, eLogistics and eFreight. Moreover it can provide contributions to the elaboration of the Action Plan on EGNOS and Galileo.
SCUTUM will become a commercial initiative. The involved companies, supported by the preliminary business plan results, intend to commercialise the developed products and services at the end of the SCUTUM trials.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call