The project is designed to consolidate complex and fundamental information and co-operation in fields of Syr Darya River Basin investigation. The investigation and monitoring of the Syr Darya River Basin is currently carried out by a number of institutions from Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. They are either studying individual industrial objects or are dealing with narrow and strictly specialized ecological problems.
These investigations are being carried out without any coordinator because of estrangement of the investigations and a shortage of funds. In the former USSR, a high percentage of river water resources were used for irrigation. Such agricultural policy together with the usage of huge amount of pesticides has resulted in soil salinization and contamination with different chemical substances, which resulted not only in crop yield, but also affected biodiversity and human health.
The realization of this project is based on the work of scientific teams from 4 countries and will provide multidisciplinary and comprehensive ecosystem studies of the Syr Darya River Basin. The project proposes coordination of scientific activities (changes in landscapes, pollution, biodiversity, restoration and agricultural implications) towards protection and sustainable management in different habitat types in the arid and semi-arid zones. The authors will examine how land-use transformations of this region have affected the ecological processes in several agricultural, natural and industrial areas of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.
The principle objectives of this project are:
1. to develop procedures for the coordination of all pro-ecological activities as well as for development of ecological education and knowledge of Uzbek and Kazakh societies
2. to propose practical tools to help science and protection policy makers to decide between future ecological options
3.to produce general predictions of biodiversity protection and management across both countries.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/hydrology
- /engineering and technology/civil engineering/water engineering/irrigation
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/environmental sciences/pollution
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /social sciences/political science/political policy/civil society/nongovernmental organization
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/agriculture
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/geology/geomorphology
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeSSA - Specific Support Action